Lady Pack’s Watson continues to rack up impressive stats

Published 2:39 pm Sunday, April 12, 2009

Charity Watson’s name will be etched into the record books for a long time to come.
The Washington Lady Pam Pack superstar has a magical arm, which has helped her accrue some pretty impressive stats. Recently, the senior notched the 1,000th strikeout of her impressive softball career.
Watson became just the fifth pitcher in N.C. High School Athletic Association fastpitch softball history to achieve that total. The strong-armed pitcher won’t be dwelling on that number anytime soon.
Watson has fanned 1,019 batters in her career. Crystal Cox of Central Cabarrus holds the state record with 1,455 strikeouts, recorded between 1999 and 2002.
Cox is followed on the list by West Forsyth’s Mendy McKenzie (1,192 from 2002-05), Clayton’s Sarah Jackson (1,130 from 2004-07), Gina Allen of Central Cabarrus (1,077 from 2003-06) and Watson.
Washington coach Doug Whitehead still marvels at his standout pitcher.
Watson is coming off her fourth consecutive one-hit gem. Her latest triumph was a 1-0 win over the third-ranked, and previously unbeaten, D.H. Conley Vikings.
Whether it’s the first team in the conference or the last, Watson takes the same approach.
Watson, who is 5-2, has struck out 133 batters and recorded four shutouts this season. She now has 43 shutouts in her career, which ranks fourth best all-time.
Cox had 79 shutouts in her career. Allen recorded 77, while Forbush’s Hannah Angel finished with 55.
Watson, who is fourth all-time with 14 career no-hitters, has already signed to play at Pitt Community College next year. While she doesn’t have to worry about scholarships or anything else this season, Watson isn’t about to rest on her laurels.”
Watson will continue to pile up the numbers throughout the season, but she’s only concerned about winning.