Jones takes one back to the house|Returns kickoff 90 yards for a touchdown

Published 4:28 pm Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Returns kickoff 90 yards for a TD
By KEVIN TRAVIS
Sports Editor
Jamont Jones followed through on a promise. The sophomore return man and defensive back for the Lenoir-Rhyne Bears vowed to return a kickoff or punt for a touchdown. Jones made good on that promise Saturday.
The former Washington Pam Pack star returned a kickoff 90 yards for a touchdown. The score, coming with 2:05 to play in the third quarter of Saturday’s game against Concord, helped the Bears tie the game at 28-28.
Concord went on to win 52-45 in overtime.
The kickoff return for a score by Jones was the first by a Bear since 2003. In total, Jones finished with four kickoff returns for 168 yards (42.0 average).
For his efforts, Jones was named the South Atlantic Conference’s Special Teams Player of the Week.
Jones added six tackles, all solo, and a blocked kick. The speedster blocked an extra point attempt by Concord in the first quarter.
For the season, Jones has seven kickoff returns for 242 yards (34.6 average) and the score, one punt return for four yards, six tackles and a blocked kick.
The Bears (1-1) play at Davidson in a 1 p.m. game Saturday.
TRAVIS DANIELS
After a record-setting performance one week earlier, Travis Daniels couldn’t break free Saturday in UNC-Pembroke’s 37-0 win over Saint Paul’s.
The former Washington Pam Pack standout finished with 39 yards rushing on 11 carries. The sophomore added three receptions for 30 yards.
A week earlier, Daniels set three UNC-Pembroke records. His 213 yards rushing, 229 all-purpose yards and 89-yard touchdown run in a 41-34 double-overtime win against Fayetteville State were all school records. He ran for 171 of those yards, and two scores, in the second half.
Thanks to his record-setting performance, Daniels was voted D2Football.com’s independents offensive player of the week.
For the season, Daniels has rushed for 252 yards and two scores on 36 carries (7.0 average). He also has four catches for 46 yards.
The Braves (2-0) play host to Wingate at 2 p.m. Saturday.
BRYAN HAYWOOD
Bryan Haywood, a former star at Southside High School, returned to the North Carolina Wesleyan football team after missing last season. Haywood’s 39 yards rushing, coming on nine carries, led the Bishops in Saturday’s 55-23 loss to Hampden-Sydney.
Haywood had one kickoff return for 24 yards. The senior also had one catch that didn’t go for any yards.
It was the season opener for Haywood and the Bishops.
Wesleyan (0-1) plays host to Salisbury University at 1 p.m. Saturday.
C.J. WILSON
C.J. Wilson, a former star at Northside High School, had eight tackles for East Carolina in Saturday’s 29-24 win over Appalachian State.
The senior defensive end recorded one tackle for loss (two yards).
The Pirates (1-0) play at 3:30 p.m. Saturday at West Virginia.
WILLIAM HUNT
William Hunt, a former star at Plymouth High School, recorded two tackles for the Broncos in Fayetteville State’s 21-20 loss to Catawba College.
The freshman defensive tackle has four tackles in two games.
The Broncos (0-2) play at Bowie State at 1 p.m. Saturday.
GREG PALMER
Greg Palmer, a former star at Northside High School, had 3.5 tackles for Chowan in Saturday’s 36-21 loss to Old Dominion.
Palmer, a senior co-captain for the Hawks, has 6.5 tackles in two games. The defensive lineman has recorded one sack (11-yard loss).
Chowan (0-2) plays at Brevard College in a 2 p.m. game Saturday.
TERRY GRIFFIN
Terry Griffin, a former standout at Roanoke High School, had four tackles, including two for-loss totaling five yards, in Elizabeth City’s 51-10 win over Johnson C. Smith.
For the season, the junior defensive tackle has nine tackles, including the two for-loss.
The Vikings (1-1) play host to Tusculum at 6 p.m. Saturday.
JAMEL MOORE
Jamel Moore, a former standout at Williamston High School, had three catches for 32 yards for the Blue Bears in Livingstone’s 34-12 loss to Savannah State University.
The freshman tailback also had two kickoff returns for 61 yards (30.5 average), which included a 42-yard return, and four carries for one yard.
For the year, Moore has six kickoff returns for 181 yards (30.2 average), seven receptions for 113 yards (16.1 average) and nine rushes for 11 yards.
The Blue Bears (0-2) play at Catawba College at 7 p.m. Saturday.
KENNETH HYMAN
Kenneth Hyman, a former star at Roanoke High School, had one tackle for the Quakers in Guilford’s 12-7 loss to Greensboro.
The sophomore starting cornerback also had two pass breakups.
The Quakers (1-0) play a 1 p.m. game at Methodist on Saturday.
CROSS COUNTRY
JESSICA ROGERS
Jessica Rogers, a former star at Washington High School, competed Friday in the Campbell University Cross Country Carnival. The sophomore teamed with another runner from N.C. A&T to finish in 42:19.
The Aggies return to action Saturday at Elon.
SOCCER
JEANNA BUCK
Jeanna Buck, a former standout at Washington High School, has played in all three games for the Peace soccer team this season. The freshman defender/midfielder has started in one of those games for the Pacers.
Peace (0-3) plays Sunday at Emory &Henry College in a 2 p.m. game.
MARISSA SMITH
Marissa Smith, a former standout at Washington High School, has appeared in two games for the Methodist Monarchs.
The freshman forward and her Meredith (1-2) teammates return to action Saturday for a 2 p.m. match against Roanoke College in Fayetteville.