Pam Pack to battle Cardinals|Sawyer hoping for better outcome

Published 8:00 pm Friday, September 25, 2009

Sport Sawyer wants nothing more than to treat Washington’s Walk of Fame members to a victory. The Pam Pack coach and his team will face the Jacksonville Cardinals in the Coastal Conference opener.
Bing Mitchell, Al Phelps and Bill Gore will be honored as this year’s Walk of Fame recipients.
“It’s always good to recognize past Pam Pack greats,” Sawyer said. “It’s a very exciting night for athletics at Washington High School.”
The Pack (2-2) is coming off a frustrating 26-14 loss to Goldsboro. The Cougars scored two touchdowns off botched punt snaps.
Sawyer said his players have responded well this week.
“We just have to build on the positive things that we’ve done,” Sawyer said. “We just have to keep our heads up. We’ll be okay.”
The Cardinals (2-2) picked up a 21-13 win over Richlands a week ago. Jejwaune Murrell led Jacksonville with 107 yards rushing and two scores.
“Jacksonville is big and athletic,” Sawyer said. “They run a couple different formations on offense.
“It’s going to be a game. We’ll have to cut out mental mistakes and little errors and execute the plays to win.”
Tony Turnage will again be under center for the Pack. The senior has clicked on 13 of 34 passes (38.2 percent) for 169 yards, throwing one touchdown and two interceptions.
Kaschief Foreman leads Washington on the ground with 218 yards on 44 carries. Lindsey Harris has added 132 yards rushing, William Ellegor 130 yards and Turnage 56 yards.
The game at J.G. “Choppy” Wagner Stadium kicks off at 7 p.m.
Washington will be on the road the following two weeks, playing at West Craven Oct. 2 and at Havelock Oct. 9.
PLYMOUTH AT NORTHSIDE
The Northside Panthers will be looking for their second straight win when they play host to the Plymouth Vikings.
Northside (2-2) is coming off a 26-18 nod over Roanoke, while Plymouth (3-1) had a bye last week.
“This is your typical Plymouth team,” Northside coach Keith Boyd said. “They are big and fast.”
The Panthers are led offensively by quarterback Isaiah McCullor and running back Dee Martin.
Boyd said his young team will have to start well against the Vikings.
“It really depends on how we handle the first quarter,” Boyd said. “If we handle it well, we can be right there with them.”
The Vikings get plenty of offensive production out of Ronnell Blount, Dylan Watts, Elmer Cooper and quarterback Kevin Purkett.
It marks the Four Rivers Conference opener for both teams.
Both teams are on the road next week. Northside pays a visit to Perquimans, while Plymouth travels to Roanoke.
SOUTHSIDE AT CAMDEN
The Southside Seahawks already have more wins (two) than they did the previous two seasons. Coach David Hines and his team will look to make it three straight wins when the Seahawks (2-2) begin Four Rivers Conference play at winless Camden (0-4).
Southside is coming off a 34-6 thrashing of Columbia, coming one week after a 25-0 win over Pamlico.
The Seahawks have counted on a three-headed monster to carry the offensive load. Sophomore quarterback Terrill Moore leads the team with 245 yards rushing and five scores. Marcus Oneal has added 188 yards and a pair of scores, while Lonnie Williams has churned out 178 yards and two scores.
Moore has completed 16 of 54 (29.6 percent) passes for 272 yards with two touchdowns and three interceptions.
Willie Ruffin has been Moore’s favorite target, hauling in eight passes for 142 yards and a touchdown.
Southside is home next Friday night against unbeaten Manteo.
WILLIAMSTON AT MANTEO
The Williamston Tigers will look to shake off last week’s surprising 40-13 loss to North Pitt when they play at Manteo tonight. The Tigers (3-1) had rolled over the opposition in the first three weeks.
The Redskins (4-0), the lone unbeaten team in the Four Rivers Conference, are coming off a wild 63-48 win over Atlantic Shores, Va.
Williamston plays host to Camden next Friday night.
ROANOKE AT PERQUIMANS
The Roanoke Redskins (0-4) and Perquimans Pirates (0-4) enter tonight’s conference battle looking to get off the snide. Both teams are winless after four games.
The Redskins put up a good fight last week, but fell 26-18 to Northside.
Roanoke plays host to Plymouth next Friday night.
CRESWELL AT JAMESVILLE
The Creswell Tigers (3-0), the lone unbeaten team in Tideland Conference play, pays a visit to Jamesville tonight. Both teams are coming off convincing wins. The Tigers cruised to a 53-0 win over winless Cape Hatteras, while the Bullets (2-1) won their second straight with a 30-6 nod over Mattamuskeet.
Jamesville visits Cape Hatteras next week, while Creswell plays host to Columbia.
MATTAMUSKEET AT COLUMBIA
The Mattamuskeet Lakers (1-1) and Columbia Wildcats (1-2) got off to slow starts this season because of a lack of players. Both look to build some steam as Tideland Conference action kicks into high gear.
Both teams are coming off losses, with the Lakers falling 30-6 to Mattamuskeet and the Wildcats falling 34-6 to Columbia.
Columbia plays at Creswell next Friday night. Mattamuskeet will be back in action Oct. 9 at Creswell.