McCloud inducted into Wingate Sports Hall of Fame|Haywood, Daniels continue to shine

Published 3:52 am Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Andrea McCloud, a former standout at the former Pantego High School, was recently inducted into the Wingate Sports Hall of Fame.
McCloud was a four-year starter for the Wingate basketball team. He earned All-Carolinas Conference honors his junior and senior seasons (1980-81, 1981-82). As a senior, McCloud averaged 13.6 points per game and 10.3 rebounds per game. His junior season, he posted 15.7 points per game and 9.0 rebounds per game.
McCloud is a member of Wingate’s 1,000-point club.
COLLEGE FOOTBALL
BRYAN HAYWOOD
Bryan Haywood continued his outstanding season Saturday. North Carolina Wesleyan’s all-time leading rusher added to his totals in a big way in a 38-28 win over Shenandoah.
Haywood, a former star at Southside High School, rumbled for 162 yards on 20 carries. The senior scored on runs of 10 and 3 yards, giving him 15 touchdowns this year.
Haywood, named the USA South Offensive Player of the Week last week following his single-game rushing record of 203 yards, also had one catch for 7 yards.
For the season, Haywood has a team-high 971 yards rushing on 138 carries (7.0 average) and 14 touchdowns. He also has 17 receptions for 219 yards and a touchdown, and one kickoff return for 24 yards.
Wesleyan (7-2, 6-0 USA South) plays at Averett University in a 1 p.m. game Saturday.
TRAVIS DANIELS
Travis Daniels, a former Washington Pam Pack star, added to his impressive rushing totals during UNC-Pembroke’s 41-12 win over North Greenville on Saturday. Daniels ran for 82 yards on 11 carries, while scoring on runs of 22 and 14 yards.
For the season, Daniels has rushed for a team-best 968 yards and 10 scores on 138 carries (7.0 average). He also has 10 catches for 97 yards.
The Braves (9-1) earned a berth in the 24-team NCAA Division II Football playoffs.
GREG PALMER
Greg Palmer, a former star at Northside High School, was named to the 2009 All-CIAA Football Second Team.
For the season, the senior co-captain had 53.5 tackles, 8.5 tackles-for-loss (40 yards), four sacks (34 yards), two fumble recoveries, one interception and one quarterback hurry for the Hawks (2-8, 2-5 CIAA). Palmer was also chosen to the team last year.
C.J. WILSON
C.J. Wilson, the Conference USA Preseason Defensive Player of the Year, had one tackle for the East Carolina Pirates in Thursday’s 16-33 loss to Virginia Tech.
Wilson, a former star at Northside High School, has 40 tackles, including 6.5 tackles-for-loss (25 yards), 2.5 sacks (16 yards in loss), eight quarterback hurries, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery this season.
In his career, Wilson has 24 sacks, 41.5 tackles-for-loss, 29 quarterback hurries and 175 tackles.
The Pirates (5-4, 4-1 C-USA) play at Tulsa in an 8:30 p.m. game Sunday.
JAMONT JONES
Jamont Jones had three tackles for the Lenoir-Rhyne Bears in Saturday’s 16-13 win over Catawba in the season finale.
The former Washington Pam Pack star also had one pass break-up, and one punt return for 9 yards.
Jones had 20 kickoff returns for 565 yards (28.2 average), which included a 94-yard return for a score, and seven punt returns for 66 yards (9.4 average). The starting defensive back also had one interception, 39 tackles, three pass break-ups and one blocked kick for the Bears(5-6, 2-5 SAC).
JERRAIL MCCULLER
Jerrail McCuller is the right tackle for the N.C. State Wolfpack, who beat Maryland 38-31 on Saturday.
McCuller, a 6-7, 325-pound senior, is a native of Jamesville and is one of three captains on the squad this year.
He made his 26th consecutive start against the Terrapins, which is the longest streak on the team.
The Wolfpack (4-5, 1-4) plays host to Clemson on Saturday.
CHASE TRIPP
Chase Tripp did not record any stats for the Winston-Salem Rams in Saturday’s 24-21 loss to Delaware State.
The freshman defensive lineman, a former standout with the Washington Pam Pack, has four tackles and one pass break-up this season.
The Rams (1-8) play host to N.C. Central in a 1 p.m. game Saturday.
KENNETH HYMAN
Kenneth Hyman, a former star at Roanoke High School, had six tackles for the Guilford Quakers in Saturday’s 42-21 win over Catholic.
For the season, the sophomore cornerback has 21 tackles, six pass breakups, two interceptions and four punt returns for 32 yards (8.0 average).
The Quakers (3-6, 2-3) play host to Emory &Henry in a 1 p.m. game on Saturday.
WILLIAM HUNT
William Hunt, a former star at Plymouth High School, did not record any statistics for the Fayetteville Broncos in Saturday’s 21-10 win over Bowie State in the CIAA championship game.
The freshman defensive tackle has five tackles on the season for the Broncos (8-3).
COLLEGE BASKETBALL
SAMANTHA SMITH
Samantha Smith, a former star at Washington High School, had 2 points and 2 rebounds for Tallahassee Community College in a 70-66 loss to Santa Fe.
TERRANCE COPPER
Terrance Copper, a former standout at Washington High School, is playing with the Kansas City Chiefs. He had one special teams tackle in Sunday’s 24-21 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Copper has two catches for 11 yards, and seven special teams tackles this season.
The Chiefs (1-7) play at Oakland on Sunday.
DAMIEN WILKINS
Damien Wilkins, a Washington native, is playing with the Minnesota Timberwolves.
Wilkins is averaging 3.5 points, 3.4 rebounds, 0.9 assists and 0.8 steals per game.
OVERSEAS BASKETBALL
ELTON COFFIELD
Elton Coffield, a former standout at Williamston High School, is playing for the BSW Sixers in Germany.
Coffield is averaging 20.6 points per game.
JOSEPH BARBER
Joseph Barber, a former standout at Terra Ceia, is playing for CS Energia Rovinari in Romania.
Barber is averaging 10.1 points, 5.6 rebounds, 0.7 steals and 0.6 assists per game.
RALPH BIGGS
Ralph Biggs, a former star at Washington High school, is playing for Krasnie Krilya Samara in Russia.
Biggs is averaging 4.0 points, 4.7 rebounds, 2.3 steals and 1.3 assists per game.
COLLEGE VOLLEYBALL
DANIELYA WHITNEY
Danielya Whitney has 32 kills, 15 assists, five digs and five blocks for Pitt Community College.
Whitney, a former standout at Southside High School, is a freshman middle blocker for the Bulldogs (21-14).