30th annual WDN/PCS Phosphate Holiday Tournament to tip off|Last four years has seen four different champions

Published 9:50 am Saturday, December 12, 2009

YEATESVILLE — If the trend continues, a different team will be crowned champion in the 30th annual WDN/PCS Phosphate Holiday Tournament.
There have been four different tournament champions in the last four years. In the past seven years, only Washington and Plymouth have been multiple winners.
This year’s tournament, which will be held at Northside High School, will be played Saturday, Dec. 19, Monday, Dec. 21 and Tuesday, Dec. 22.
As a bonus, the Miller School (Va.) will face Stevens Prep Academy (Raleigh) in a showcase game on Friday, Dec. 18. Miller will then tangle with South Central in another showcase game on Dec. 19.
Pamlico, which is one of eight teams in this year’s tournament, will look to repeat. The Hurricanes used a 14-0 run to start the 2008 championship game, which fueled an 86-64 win over the Washington Pam Pack. Braelyn Blount, who earned MVP honors, scored 26 points in the championship game.
Looking to dethrone Pamlico will be Washington, Northside, Southside, Terra Ceia, Creswell, Mattamuskeet and East Carteret.
Keith Boyd, the Northside athletic director and tournament director, is expecting some quality basketball each night.
“I think it’s a well-matched tournament,” Boyd said. “I feel like all eight of the teams have the same chance to bring home the trophy. It’s probably one of the most evenly matched tournaments we’ve had.”
In a couple of intriguing side notes to the tournament, Mychal Parker, who led Terra Ceia to the championship in 2007, returns to play in front of family and friends. Parker, who recently signed to play at the University of Maryland, is currently a member of the Miller School Mavericks.
Meanwhile, coach Chris Cherry is also making his return to the tournament. Cherry, who guided the Plymouth Vikings to the tournament championship in 2002, is now leading the South Central Falcons, who will play in a showcase game next Saturday night.
Parker led the Knights to a 52-40 win over East Carteret in the 2007 tournament championship, earning MVP honors.
Plymouth posted a 73-46 win over Washington, behind the efforts of MVP Angelo Sharpless, in the 2006 tournament championship.
Calvin Daniels led the Pam Pack past Plymouth, 93-87, to win the 2005 tournament championship. Daniels won his second MVP in as many years in the tournament.
Daniels earned his first MVP award in 2004 after leading Washington to a 68-58 win over Plymouth in the 2004 title game.
Northern Vance knocked off Plymouth, 60-57 in overtime, to win the tournament title in 2003.
The same two teams played in 2002, with the Cherry-led Vikings knocking off Northern Vance.
Look for more information on the games in the upcoming issues of the WDN.