Hill earns 100th career victory|Pam Pack goes 1-4 at East Carteret Duals

Published 7:03 pm Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Marquin Hill reached a milestone during action at the East Carteret Duals over the weekend. Hill, a junior heavyweight with the Washington Pam Pack, notched his 100th career victory.
“I’m excited about it,” Hill said. “Not too many people in our school have 100 wins.”
Hill recorded his 100th win when he pinned Southwest Onslow’s Gus Jackson in five minutes, 12 seconds. He joined such notables as Justin “Weasel” Moore (153-18), Gerald Lawrence (139-13), Gabe Gardner (127-44) and Russ Chesson (125-7) in achieving the milestone.
“That is a great milestone to reach,” Washington coach Dan Riggs said. “It couldn’t have happened to a kid who is so deserving of it. He deserves this milestone because of his hard work in the practice room and his leadership.”
Hill, who now stands at 35-2 this season, achieved one of the two goals he set to accomplish this season. His next goal is to win the state championship.
“I want to win the state,” Hill said. “I don’t want second, third or fourth. I plan on winning it.
“It’s going to take a lot of hard work.”
Riggs believes Hill can achieve both goals.
“We have talked and he has two goals for this year,” Riggs said. “They were to get 100 wins before the end of his junior year and to win the state tournament, which he came up short last year by placing sixth.
“With his 100 wins accomplished, he now can focus on his other goal. He knows it is going to be a hard task because he has a bullseye on his back.”
Hill, who sports a 102-28 career record, including a 37-12 mark last year, had a scary incident during last year’s sate meet. During the fifth-place match against Southwestern Randolph’s Branson O’Hara, Hill suffered a back injury and was taken off the mat on a stretcher.
He’s back at full strength this year, and ready to make a run at the title.
“I need to work on my top and getting people down better,” said Hill, the son of Katina Moore and Jermaine Moore. “Weasel, Riggs and coach Charles (Blumell) have been helping me with that. I know it’s going to take hard work.”
Hill went 4-1 at the East Carteret Duals, suffering just his second loss of the year.
“I think I’m doing pretty good, but those two losses eat at me,” Hill said. “That will just make me work harder.”
All four of Hill’s wins were by pin, including one in an astonishing 11 seconds. Hill has a team-best 23 wins by pin this season.
Hill and his Pam Pack, 8-22 overall, wrestle at West Craven today. The Pack participates in the South Johnston Quad Meet on Saturday, before finishing the regular season at home against White Oak on Feb. 2.
While the team may be struggling somewhat, Hill said fans shouldn’t get down on the team.
“We’re having a hard year, but we are really young,” Hill said. “We have a few guys who are freshman, and for some it’s their first year wrestling.”
The Pack participates in the Coastal Conference tournament in Havelock on Feb. 6, and in the East Regional tournament at South Central High School on Feb. 19.
PACK AT DUALS
The Pam Pack went 4-1 at the East Carteret Duals.
Washington beat Southwest Onslow 48-3, while falling 54-19 to Louisburg, 75-6 to Southwestern Randolph, 66-18 to Swansboro and 48-30 to East Carteret.
Justin “Weasel” Moore was a perfect 5-0 at the tournament, earning three wins by pin and two by forfeit. The senior, the school’s all-time win leader, ran his season record to 33-1 and his career-record to 153-18.
In the win over Southwest Onslow, the Pack got victories from Moore, Marquin Hill, Seth Derner, David Giordano, John Campbell, Thomas Hall, Raphael Gibbs and Geovanne Romero.
Against Louisburg, Washington got wins from Moore, Hill, Gibbs and Michael Gardner. Moore had the lone win against Southwestern Randolph.
Notching wins against Swansboro were Moore, Hill and Gibbs. Getting victories against East Carteret were Moore, Hill, Gibbs, Hall and Campbell.