Moore, Hill gunning for titles|State tournament begins today

Published 1:29 am Friday, February 26, 2010

Justin “Weasel” Moore and Marquin Hill are four wins away from reaching their ultimate goal. The Washington Pam Pack wrestlers are looking to become the school’s third and fourth wrestlers to win state championships.
The N.C. High School Athletic Association Class 3-A state tournament, being held at the Greensboro Coliseum, begins at 9 a.m. today.
Pam Pack coach Dan Riggs believes his wrestlers have a great shot at finishing on top.
“They just have to keep doing what they’ve been doing,” Riggs said. “They just need to believe in themselves.”
Moore, Washington’s all-time win leader with a career record of 160-18, finished runner-up at state last year. He lost to Mooresville’s Chris Hill in the championship match.
The 171-pounder is looking to win it all this year.
“I know all I need to know,” Moore said. “There’s not a great amount of pressure. I’m just eager to go wrestle.”
Moore, 40-1, has been crowned Coastal Conference and East Regional champion this season, along with being named Most Outstanding Wrestler at both events.
The four-time state qualifier went 3-1 in finishing runner-up last year, 3-2 while placing fourth as a sophomore and 2-2 in his freshman season.
Moore will take on Mt. Pleasant’s Christian Carrillo in today’s opening-round match.
The winner takes on either Orange’s Nick Shriner or Freedom’s Marcus Kincaid in the second round.
Hill, 110-28 in his career and 43-2 this season, finished sixth at last year’s state meet. He had a scary incident during the fifth-place match. Hill was injured while battling Southwestern Randolph’s Branson O’Hara. He suffered a back injury and was taken off the mat on a stretcher.
The junior is eager for a better showing this time out.
“We’ve been working really hard,” Hill said. “I’m taking it really serious.”
The 285-pounder will square off against Northern Guilford’s Jacob Roberts in the first round. The winner will face either Cole Schanilec of Fred T. Ford or South Rowan’s Zack Howell.
“I want to win the state,” Hill said. “I don’t want second, third or fourth. I plan on winning it.”
Moore and Hill are hoping to join Russ Chesson and Larry Harris as the school’s state champions.
Chesson was a three-time state champ from 1995-97, after finishing runner-up his freshman season.
Larry Harris won state titles in 1987 and 1988.
Quarterfinals will begin at 6 p.m. today. Action resumes Saturday at 8:30 a.m. The finals are slated to begin at 6 p.m.