Wilson anxious for NFL draft|Pirates' DE is projected to go between third and fifth rounds

Published 12:07 pm Thursday, April 22, 2010

All that hard work is about to pay off.
C.J. Wilson, a former star at Northside High School and East Carolina, is anxiously awaiting the NFL draft, which will be held today through Saturday. The first round will be held today, rounds two and three Friday and rounds four through seven on Saturday.
“I’m ready,” Wilson said. “It’s been a long wait since the end of the bowl game. I’m just very anxious, nervous and hoping for the best.
“It’s a relief that the long process is over, the waiting around, pro day, combine and working out. I’m happy that I’m about to go somewhere.”
Wilson is projected to be selected between the third and fifth rounds. The 6-3, 290-pound defensive end feels he’s ready to contribute to an NFL team.
“I’m physically and mentally ready, but I know I’ll have to learn,” Wilson said. “It’s a progression, but I’m ready.”
After a solid NFL Combine and Pro Day, held at ECU, Wilson feels confident about his draft potential.
“My stock has been on the rise,” Wilson said. “I’ve had calls from about 20 to 25 teams. I wrote them all down. They all seem very interested. They all said they heard good things and wished me good luck.”
Wilson said he isn’t exactly sure how he’ll react once he gets that call from an NFL team.
“I’ll probably be speechless,” Wilson said. “I’ll be happy and grateful that God gave me this opportunity. I know it will be a fight once I get there to stay there.”
Wilson, who racked up 27 sacks, 45.5 tackles-for-loss, 36 quarterback hurries, four blocked kicks and 192 tackles in his career with the Pirates, won’t know who drafted him until he gets the phone call. The affable Wilson said he’d be too nervous to watch the draft.
“I won’t watch it,” he said. “It would drive me crazy. I know a ton of friends who will get drafted so I’ll just talk with them and congratulate them.
“I am nervous that I don’t know where I’m going, or who will pick me. It’s a little nerve-wracking.”
Wilson plans to work out and spend time with his family, including parents Amos and Doris Wilson, over the next couple days.
“I’ll be with my family and being supported by them,” he said. “I’ll probably try to occupy myself. I’ll be working out and hanging out with my family.
“It’s very special (to be home for the draft). It’s been a blessing to be home. I’m glad I can spend this time with them. That means a lot.”
Once drafted, Wilson will leave for a rookie minicamp with his new team.
He’s more than ready.
“All those times getting up at 5 a.m., working out all year, going through a long season, the wins and losses, the pain and tears and blood, it’s all paid off for the best,” Wilson said. “I’m getting a chance to further my career and continue playing the game of football.
“I just thank God for that opportunity.”
(Wilson’s NFL.com bio can be found at the link below.)