Lucas to join other Pam Pack legends|Football star to be inducted into the Washington WOF

Published 7:18 pm Wednesday, September 29, 2010

By By BRIAN HAINES, Sports Writer
If you wanted to play for legendary Washington High School football coach J.G. “Choppy” Wagner you had to be tough, which is why Ed Lucas was a perfect fit for the Pam Pack football team when he transferred from Belhaven at the end of his sophomore year.
Ed Lucas, the Pam Pack all-state offensive and defensive guard, earned many honors during his playing days, and on Friday he will receive one more when he is inducted into the Washington Walk of Fame along with Joe Randolph (football, track and field), Earl Randolph (track and field) and Justin “Weasel” Moore (wrestling).
Lucas came to Washington in 1952 and in his first year with the Pack he was named to the all-conference team and to the all-East team.
Lucas followed up that performan0ce the next year by again making the all-conference and all-east teams, but was also named all-state.
Lucas said he was honored to be enshrined with all the other Pam Pack greats.
“It’s quite an honor,” Lucas said. “There has been some fine boys that have gone through that school. I was tickled to death to even be nominated.”
For Lucas, the key to his success is his never-quit style.
“I was told a long time ago when the going gets tough the tough get going, and a quitter never wins and a winner never quits,” Lucas said.
It was that kind of attitude that allowed Lucas to become a force for the Pam Pack and excel under Wagner, whom Lucas had great respect for.
“He is one of the finest gentleman that I have ever met,” Lucas said. “I have a lot of love and compassion for him.”
Another coach Lucas holds in high regard is his former six-man football coach from Belhaven Howard Chapin, who told him when he got to Washington to “go out there and give ’em all you got.”
Lucas did just as he earned a spot on the 1953 Shrine Bowl roster as well as the 1954 East team in the East-West game.
Lucas was offered numerous scholarships upon graduation in 1954, most notably offers from East Carolina and Wake Forest. Lucas declined and joined the armed services.
Upon completion of his duty, Lucas went on to own a barbershop. Lucas is currently married to Marleen Lucas and is father to children Mary Jeanette, Cameron and Ed.