Arts show seeks entries
Published 10:25 pm Wednesday, October 13, 2010
By By JONATHAN CLAYBORNE
The Beaufort County Arts Council will accept entries for the 46th-annual Fine Arts Show from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Sunday at the Washington Civic Center.
Artists may enter up to four works in four categories: watercolors, oils and acrylics, graphics/open mixed, and three-dimensional, an arts council news release reads. The entry fee is $20 for one or two entries and $7.50 each up to four entries. A show prospectus with Fine Arts Show guidelines is available by calling or e-mailing the Arts Council.
The arts councils staff may be reached by calling 252-946-2504 or sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Fine Arts Show opens to the public Oct. 21.
The show is expected to feature more than 400 works by around 200 artists working in a wide array of media, according to Joey Toler, executive director of the arts council.
Sunday, the week begins, said Toler.
A crew of about 40 volunteers will gather to help register the art works as they are brought into the Civic Center, Toler said.
The volunteers will work two-hour shifts throughout the day.
The Fine Arts Show is becoming the arts councils most well-regarded event of the year, Toler commented.
Now in its 46th year, this showcase predates the arts council.
The arts council, approaching its 40th anniversary, is in the top seven of the oldest arts councils in North Carolina, Toler related.
The juror for this years show is Bob Rankin, who has judged in excess of 300 shows in the southeast, Toler said.
Beaufort County Arts Councils
Fine Arts Show
calendar of events:
• Sunday, Oct. 17: Entries accepted 10 a.m. until 4 p.m., Washington Civic Center
• Monday, Oct. 18: Judging of Fine Arts Show
• Tuesday, Oct. 19: Juried artists are notified by phone or e-mail regarding award selections
• Wednesday, Oct. 20: Guaranteed sales program for preregistered patrons, 7 p.m. until 8 p.m.; preview party for arts council members, artists and guests, hosted by PotashCorp, from 8 p.m. until 9:30 p.m. at the Civic Center
• Thursday through Saturday, Oct. 21-Oct. 23: Fine Arts Show open, free to the public, from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m.
• Thursday, Oct. 21: Fine Arts Show critique by juror Bob Rankin, open and free to the public, 5:30 p.m.
• Saturday, Oct. 23: Artist checkout for nonjuried work and purchaser pickup for nonjuried sales, 5:30 p.m. until 6:30 p.m.
• Oct. 27-Dec. 22: 43rd-annual Fine Arts Show award-winning selections on exhibit at the Civic Center
Note: Information courtesy Beaufort County Arts Council