Panthers edge out Seahawks|Northside wins on Woolard’s goal

Published 1:37 am Thursday, October 28, 2010

By By Jurgen Boerema , Contributing Writer
CHOCOWINITY — The Northside Panthers ended their soccer season decisively with a 1-0 victory over Four Rivers Conference rival Southside Wednesday night at Southside High School.
Both teams played even in the first half as both sides put up admirable defensive efforts. Each team had several opportunities to score but failed to convert.
Southside’s Billy Harding gave a stand out offensive effort in the first half with five aggressive shots on goal.
The Panthers’s Taylor Woolard broke the stalemate early in the second half when he booted a goal past several defenders.
Northside’s coach Billy Bunn was pleased with the fact that the win pulled his team to a 7-7 record.
“Both teams played hard and respectively. It is usually one of those things where whichever team loses focus is usually going to get scored on,” Bunn said. “Taylor’s goal is something he has been doing ever since he has been playing. I specifically asked him to go out and take over the game. There are usually two or three defenders on him each game.”
The Panthers will find out Friday if they reached the playoffs.
“Last year they seeded the top two teams. We should finish fourth. We had a let-down here last year and they took one from us. The guys can hold their heads up,” Bunn said.
Southside coach John Lohman was disappointed with the lost that ended his season. He gave a brief ceremony at half-time honoring his 10 seniors for this last game.
“We played well and defended well. The first 30 seconds of the first half we came out a little flat. We just gave Taylor too much space and if you do that he will score. “
However he did see opportunity for hope for next season.
“We are definitely rebuilding, but I have a lot of ninth and tenth graders so that should help,” Lohman said.
When asked to describe his goal, Woolard was concise.
“We just had to work hard for it. I got a pass from a teammate and just had to work for it. It was great to come here and get a win.”