Several great athletes highlight WDN All-Area team|Team features several new and familiar stars

Published 4:38 pm Sunday, January 2, 2011

By By BRIAN HAINES, Brian@wdnweb.com, Sports Writer
Once again it was another thrilling season of prep football as the area fielded several competitive teams with many fantastic players.
As expected, the Plymouth put forth another tremendous year as the Vikings finished the season 13-2 and made it all the way to the East Regional round of the NCHSAA 1-A playoffs where it was topped by eventual two-time state champs Wallace-Rose Hill.
The Vikings got outstanding performances by several players and were led by this year’s WDN Offensive Player of the Year Ronnell Blount.
Other teams turned in great seasons as well. Despite losing star running back Cedric Moody, last year’s offensive player of the year, Riverside still boasted a powerful squad that finished the year with a 10-3 record and a playoff win.
Another big story this season was the return of Southside coach DeWayne Kellum. The popular coach took a leave for three years and in his first season back led his Seahawks to a 9-4 record, which was more wins than the team had combined in the time he was gone.
There were several great stories and great players this year, but the Washington Daily News has highlighted the following players as the ones who have stood out the most on a consistent basis as part of its all-area football team.
OFFENSE
Quarterback
Luke Mathews, Riverside
A two time all-area first-team selection, Luke Mathews is one of the few area quarterbacks who could sling the pigskin every Friday. Mathews connected on nearly 50 percent of his passes (123-273) for 23 touchdowns and 1,926 yards. Mathews, a solid athlete, also was able to make plays with his feet.
Running backs
William Ellegor,
Washington
Equipped with explosive combination of speed and power, Washington’s William Ellegor was the key to the Pam Pack offense this season. The senior back galloped his way to 1,350 yards and 19 rushing touchdowns and would have posted even more impressive numbers had he not had to battle a toe injury most of the season.
DeMarquez Martin, Northside
A real shifty runner, Northside’s DeMarquez Martin displayed his fleet feet every Friday for the Panthers as he tallied 1,277 yards and over 15 touchdowns. Every team the Panthers played knew Martin would be the main weapon for the Panthers but yet no team could stop him.
Offensive line
Paris Palmer, Plymouth
A mammoth force on the line, the play of 6-7 left tackle Paris Palmer in the Vikings wing-T attack simply cannot be overstated. Palmer, a two-time first-team selection, helped pave the way for three 700-yard rushers and helped carry Plymouth all the way to the East Regional round of the playoffs.
DeAndre Gray, Plymouth
As with Palmer, DeAndre Gray’s blocking ability was crucial for coach Robert Cody and his Vikings. Plymouth mauled team’s with the running game every Friday and the play of Gray is why it could do that.
T.J. Jordan, Southside
A good athlete with a big body, T.J. Jordan helped restore the pride in the Seahawks’ offense by blowing holes open in opposing defensive lines for the speedy Southside running backs. The wing-T is built around the run, and Southside would not be able to do that without the likes of Jordan.
Kevin Chapman, Washington
Washington switched to a run-orientated, I-formation offense this season and after watching Kevin Chapman play it’s easy to see why. Chapman bullied opposing players on the line and helped running back William Ellegor run for over 1,300 yards this season.
Nate Price, Riverside
Riverside runs one of the more complicated offenses in the area and it relies on its linemen to be able to both run and pass block, Nathan Price could do both. Price protected QB Luke Mathews every week while also making sure RB Quentin Lawrence had room to run.
Wide receivers
K.J. Brown, Riverside
With good size, hands and speed, Riverside wide receiver K.J. Brown has been a playmaker for the Knights for the last few years. An injury cut Brown’s season short, but not before he recorded 22 catches for 274 yards and a TD.
Ramelle Lanier
An electric wide receiver, Ramelle Lanier seemed to make big play after big play for Riverside, including his game-winning TD grab against Ayden-Grifton early in the season which is easily one of the best plays made all year. Lanier led the Knights with 32 receptions for 589 yards and seven touchdowns.
Tight end
Johnny Broadway
The Pam Pack didn’t throw the ball much this season, but when it did go to the air there was no doubt Johnny Broadway was the primary target. A big athlete with good hands, Broadway caught 13 passes for 230 yards and two TDs and provided sturdy blocks for
Washington’s run game.
Athlete
Terrill Moore, Southside
Perhaps the most valuable player on the Seahawks’ offense, Terrill Moore saw time at both quarterback and running back for Southside this year and excelled at both positions. Another player with a good blend of speed and power, Moore’s impact on Southside was felt on every snap. Moore missed a good portion of the season due to injury, but still managed to put together a tremendous season.
DEFENSE
Defensive linemen
T.J. Jordan, Southside
Southside nose guard T.J. Jordan did a great job of being a presence up front this season. Jordan was a menace for opposing blockers and was called one of the most valuable players on defense by Seahawks’ coach DeWayne Kellum.
Marquin Hill, Washington
Easily one of the best athletes in the area, Washington DT/DE Marquin Hill has the size, speed and power that all defensive lineman crave and he used it each game. Hill, a defending NCHSAA 3-A state champion wrestler, used his quick hands and feet to pin down would-be ball carriers every Friday.
Mike Rambo, Plymouth
With 76 tackles and six fumble recoveries, Plymouth defensive lineman Mike Rambo played a crucial role in Plymouth’s run at a state title. Vikings’ coach Robert Cody routinely praised the efforts of Rambo and called him the leader on defense.
Derek Cox, Riverside
The Riverside defense was one of the better units in the area this season and Derek Cox was a big part of that. Cox made 70 tackles on the year and did a nice job taking on blockers and making tackles.
Linebackers
Markey Brook, Plymouth
It seems like every year Plymouth fields a young star in the making and this year Markey Brook was that player. Just a sophomore, Brook should good speed and instincts as he made 91 tackles and forced three fumbles.
Johnny Pender
A tackling machine, Southside’s Johnny Pender flew all over the field and seemingly made play after play this season for the Seahawks. Pender racked up 108 tackles on the year and forced two fumbles to guide a staunch Southside defense.
Jody Harding, Southside
A solid tackler with good instincts, Jody Harding tallied 90 tackles for the Seahawks. Harding has a good nose for the ball and turned in and stellar season for Southside.
Defensive backs
Treshon Blount, Southside
Southside corner Treshon Blount turned in a special season for the Seahawks as he intercepted six passes and made 20 tackles for the Seahawks. Blount was a difference maker in the Southside secondary and had a knack for big plays.
Laquan Speller, Riverside
One of the truly special players on this year’s all-area team, Riverside safety Laquan Speller is the prototype as the position as his speed allowed him to pick six passes while his size enabled him to make 93 tackles. Speller is a two-time, first-team WDN selection.
Reginald Parker, South Creek
Perhaps South Creek’s most valuable player, safety Reginald Parker is a strong leader who is capable of playing just about any position on the field. Parker, a junior, had 67 tackles this season and will be even more of a force next year for the Cougars.
Carl McCray, Plymouth
This year Plymouth had so many playmakers on both sides of the ball, and Carl McCray is another one. McCray tallied five interceptions this year and made 21 tackles from his corner position.
Special teams
Punter
Jack Rodman, Washington
Equipped with a strong leg, Washington punter Jack Rodman did a good job of bailing out the Pam Pack offense when it needed as his 36 yards per punt average helped pin back opposing offenses.
Kicker
Chris Rogerson, Plymouth
The kicking game can be one of the scariest aspects of prep football for any coach, but Plymouth’s Chris Rogerson made sure his coach Robert Cody had nothing to worry about as he connected on 24 of his 28 extra point attempts.
SECOND TEAM
OFFENSE
Quarterback
Taequan Mackey, Northside
Running backs
Elmer Cooper, Plymouth
Quentin Lawrence
Offensive linemen
Vaughn McKimmey, Plymouth
Lenny Chavez, Northside
Jeffrey Moore, Southside
Riverside
Keith Padgette OT
Dillon Cutler, Northside
Wide Receivers
Curtis Meyers, Southside
Tony Peele, Northside
Tight end
Everette Paschal
Athlete
Reginald Parker, South Creek
Special Teams
Punter
Chris Rogerson
Kicker
Jack Rodman
DEFENSE
Defensive line
Curtis Meyers, Southside Maybe James Jones
Jaquan Durham, South Creek
Kevin Chapman, Washington
Shaquille Moore, Northside
Linebackers
Thurman Collier, Riverside
Jaquez Columbus, Washington
Ronnell Blount, Plymouth
Defensive backs
Tre Rodgers, Riverside
William Ellegor, Washington
Kendrick Pitt, Plymouth
Jordan Benston, Southside
HONORABLE MENTION
Northside
Damount Harvey
Brandon Ussery
Plymouth
Kendrick Pitt
Keimon Blount
William Pledger
Mark Whitten
Quidra Pettiford
Jamel Jones
Riverside
Ashton Armstrong
Marcus Freeman
Japaul Whitehurst
Jamal Whitehurst
Jadarian Brown
Southside
Jordan Benston
Rokeem Miller
Julian Brown
Marcus O’Neal
Brian Happel
Washington
Pernell Razor
Raheem Slade
Keane Graham
Jimmy Williams
Raphael Gibbs