On to the next level|Pack trio ready for new challenges

Published 10:47 pm Thursday, February 3, 2011

By By BRIAN HAINES, Brian@wdnweb.com, Sports Writer
The day that every athlete dreams of came true for three Washington students as Beth Batchelor, Kevin Chapman and Williams Ellegor where all fortunate enough to have a piece of paper in front of them on National Signing Day.
Batchelor, who was named the Washington Daily News Female Athlete of the Year after being tabbed Coastal Conference Tennis Player of the Year, a WDN all-area basketball player and an all-state soccer selection, signed a National Letter of Intent to play soccer at East Carolina University.
Chapman, an all-Coastal conference selection and member of the WDN all-area football team, announced that he will be playing for Elizabeth City University.
Chapman will not be headed there alone as Washington’s electric tailback William Ellegor, who like Chapman was an all-conference and WDN all-area team selection, will also be a member of the Vikings.
Overall, it was a proud day for the three athletes and their respective families and coaches.
“As the athletic director you’re proud that these individuals get to go on to the next level and continue playing the sport that they love and have their education paid for,” said Allison Jones who is not only the athletic director at Washington, but is the varsity girls basketball coach. “These three represent what we want our product to be when these kids leave Washington High School. They will be fine representatives of Washington.”
Not too many student-athletes represent the Pam Pack better than Batchelor as her stellar abilities also apply to the classroom. Batchelor verbally agreed to go to ECU during the summer, but on Wednesday it became official.
“I have been looking forward to this day for a while.” Batchelor said. “(ECU) has a strong athletic program, including soccer, and their academics are very good too. After meeting with the players and coaches I just felt like it was the right place.”
Batchelor’s parents, Bill and Augusta Batchelor, both attended East Carolina and said they were extremely happy their daughter chose to stay close to home and attend their alma matter.
Batchelor enters her final season with the Pack soccer team this spring with 76 career goals and is three away from breaking Blaine Prescott’s record of 78.
For the 6-2, 270-pound Chapman, who racked up 56 tackles and had 1.5 sacks this season, Elizabeth City was the perfect fit.
“I’m excited that I will be getting to play some more football after high school,” Chapman said. “I was looking at Pembroke and Old Dominion and some schools like that by I picked Elizabeth City because it’s closer to home and it has a nice campus.”
For Chapman’s parents, Kevin and Teresa Chapman, Signing Day was an extremely proud moment.
“I can’t ask for anything greater. His goal was to move on to the next level and continue to play and than maybe can move on to the next level again,” Chapman’s father said.
For Teresa Chapman, the location of the school and its academic prowess where the most important things.
“It’s great to be able to see him play football and get an education at the same time,” Teresa said.
Chapman blocked all throughout his varsity career for Ellegor, and now he will get to do it again at the collegiate level as Ellegor, a future physical therapy major. will be joining him in Elizabeth City.
“I’m really excited to be playing football at the next level and hopefully better my talents and get into a starting role,” Ellegor said.
Ellegor, who rushed for 1,405 yards and 19 touchdowns this season and was a star defensive back as well, and said that Elizabeth City became his top choice because they will give him a shot to play running back.
“I want to play running back but a lot of schools just wanted me for defense,” Ellegor said. “But I want to step out and get a chance to play running back … I love defense too, but I love offense. I love getting the ball and scoring touchdowns.”
Ellegor’s mother, Teresa Waters, said she could not be happier for William.
“I’m proud of my son, very proud. He’s worked hard to get this far and I hope he goes even further,” Waters said. “I can’t ask for anything better.”