Board handles other business
Published 1:04 am Wednesday, October 5, 2011
The Beaufort County Board of Commissioners approved several items on its agenda at its meeting Monday. In other action, the board:
- Endorsed the creation of a committee to develop a plan of countywide events to celebrate in 2012 the 300th anniversary of the founding of Beaufort County.
- Voted unanimously to award a contract for grinding and removing vegetative debris from Hurricane Irene to the low bidder, Bowen Co. of Pantego, and the contract for removing construction and demolition debris from the hurricane to the low bidder, Unified Recovery Group of Baton Rouge, La.
- Voted 5-2 to approve $8,475.48 in travel expenses described as “mandatory” with Richardson and Commissioner Stan Deatherage casting dissenting votes. The commissioners did not approve $3,143 in travel expenses described as “desirable” for the Department of Social Services.
- The commissioners made the following appointments: Kim Toler of PotashCorp Aurora to the Region Q Workforce Development Board. The board tabled appointments to the Local Emergency Planning Committee and the Beaufort County Board of Health.
- Voted unanimously to certify the Warren Field Airport Fire District.