Board handles agenda items
Published 2:04 pm Thursday, April 5, 2012
The Beaufort County Board of Commissioners took action on several items on its agenda at the board meeting Monday.
That action, the board:
- Delayed action on two requests from Beaufort County Schools Superintendent Don Phipps until an April 30 joint meeting of the county commissioners and the county Board of Education. The commissioners delayed Phipps’ request for $17,500 for a study of population trends in Beaufort County to help guide future decisions about the county’s public schools. The panel also delayed a request for the county to release $140,985.29 in funds its members appropriated to the county schools for construction projects for the 2011-2012 fiscal year. The money is needed to complete the first phase of a project designed to repair drainage problems at Northeast Elementary School. Drainage problems at the school have already begun to affect the gymnasium floor at the school and the repairs are needed “as soon as possible before we have problems at other locations” at the school, the commissioners were told.
- Voted unanimously to sell two lots in the Beaufort County Industrial Park to A & E Holdings, LLC for $90,000.
- Tabled a request from Register of Deeds Jennifer Leggett Whitehurst to allocate $74,043 from the office’s 2011-2012 budget for a project that would give the public Internet access to information such as deeds, maps and an index to birth and death records.
- Unanimously approved a request from the Beaufort Soil and Water Conservation District to apply for a $72,000 grant from the N.C. Division of Water Resources to help pay for removing debris caused by Hurricane Irene from the county’s streams and drainage ways.
- Unanimously approved a request from the Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office to allocate $22,698.59 from emergency 911 public-safety funds to buy mobile radios and equipment and program that equipment to comply with narrow-banding mandates. State and local public-safety agencies must convert their land mobile radios to narrow banding by Jan. 1, 2013.
- Voted 6-1 to approve $7,404.58 in travel requests with Commissioner Hood Richardson casting the sole dissenting vote.
- Voted unanimously to approve resolutions proclaiming April as Child Abuse Prevention Month and April 22-28 as the Week of the Young Child in Beaufort County.
- Unanimously approved a request from the Town of Chocowinity to name a road off Old Blounts Creek Road (that provides access to a well site near Cypress Landing) as Albritton Drive.
- Delayed three appointments to the Beaufort County Community Advisory Council.
All commissioners attended the meeting.