Drug bust turns chaotic

Published 9:31 am Thursday, June 7, 2012

Crime Scene Investigators examine evidence Wednesday evening at the scene of an undercover drug purchase that sent one man to the hospital. (WDN Photo/ Mona Moore)

An undercover drug purchase transformed into a disturbance including the burning of trash cans and throwing of bottles Wednesday evening and early Thursday morning in Washington.
Several people were arrested and arrest warrants for others have been issued, according to the Washington Police Department. Arrests were made by the department and Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office.
The Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office issued the following press release about the matter Wednesday night:
“On June 6, 2012, Investigators with the Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office Drug Unit conducted a controlled purchase of cocaine in the City Washington. During the controlled purchase Investigators witnessed a drug transaction occur between an unknown black male and Keith Maurice Small, black male, age 33 of 315 West 15th Street in Washington.
“Investigators approached Small while he was sitting in a GMC Yukon SUV located on Van Norden Street near Fifth Street. When Investigators approached, they saw Small shove plastic bags of suspected illegal drugs into his mouth. “Investigators attempted to detain Small. Small resisted, tried to escape and fought with Investigators while inside his vehicle. When Investigators gained control of Small they realized he was having trouble breathing. Investigators immediately requested Washington Emergency Medical Services to respond to the scene. While Investigators waited for Washington Emergency Medical Services to arrive Investigators removed a plastic bag containing suspected marijuana from Small’s throat and attempted the Heimlich Maneuver and chest compressions on Small in an effort to render first aid.
“Emergency Medical Services arrived and removed a plastic baggie containing multiple smaller plastic bags containing suspected cocaine from Small’s throat. Small was immediately transported to the Beaufort County Hospital (now known as Vidant Beaufort Hospital) to be treated.”
Small is listed in stable condition at the hospital, according to reports.
The incident was witnessed by about 100 people who were in the street and adjacent areas, according to published media reports.