Homicide investigation remains open

Published 9:01 pm Monday, May 6, 2013

 George Calvin Harvey

George Calvin Harvey


On the night of April 29, 2012, George Calvin Harvey told his family he was going out to meet someone. At 9:40 p.m., reports of multiple gunshots on Wilson Street in Washington came in to 911. At the scene, police found the street in darkness and Harvey’s car crashed into guy wires connecting two utility poles. Inside the vehicle, the 40-year-old Harvey was dead from gunshot wounds.

A year later, Washington police and Harvey’s family are still searching for answers.

“We’re just looking for help from the public because there is somebody who’s heard something, seen something, known something, that will help us resolve this,” said Lt. William Chrismon, spokesman for the Washington Police Department.

While there are suspects in the case and there is speculation as to motive, until the person comes forward who can tell authorities why Harvey’s homicide happened, the case cannot move forward, according to Chrismon.

“We’ll get a tidbit here, a tidbit there, and we’ll track it down, but it’s hearsay, rumor,” Chrismon said. “We need to hear from the person who knows something that will put that piece in place that will bring a charge.”

Chrismon said detectives don’t know why Harvey was on Wilson Street at the time of the homicide, but do know he was going to meet someone.

“We’re still trying to determine the who, where and when,” he added.

Chrismon, who is in regular contact with Harvey’s family, describes them as having been very helpful and cooperative throughout the investigation.

“You know, it (resolving the case) doesn’t just give us closure, it gives them closure,” he said.

Harvey’s murder was the only one recorded by Washington police in 2012. In previous years, there were two homicides in 2010 and three in 2007.

The Washington Police Department asks that anyone with any information about the murder of George Calvin Harvey to call police at 252-946-1444.