Kick save and a beauty: WHS blocks FG to hold off Bunn

Published 12:01 am Saturday, November 23, 2013

The Washington football players take the field before their 35-32 victory over Bunn in the second round of the NCHSAA 2-AA playoffs. (WDN Photo/Brian Haines)

The Washington football players take the field before their 35-32 victory over Bunn in the second round of the NCHSAA 2-AA playoffs. (WDN Photo/Brian Haines)

He had made a 47-yard field goal with ease in the first quarter and barely missed on a 55-yard attempt in the second. So when all-American, and future Tar Heels kicker, Freeman Jones lined up for the game-tying 42-yard field goal with 10.5 second remaining in the fourth quarter Friday night it was just assumed Washington was headed to overtime.
But, not so fast.
On a slick J.G. “Choppy” Wagner field, Bunn botched the snap. The Wildcats’ holder did his best to get the ball in position, but by the time Jones unleashed his kick Rakwuan Sattherwaitte and Myron Brooks where in flight and brought it down like scud missile to preserve Washington’s 35-32 lead and advance to the third round of the playoffs for the second straight season.
“That was a big kick that could have put the game in overtime and you never know what could happen in overtime,” Washington coach Sport Sawyer said.
With a timeout in his pocket, Sawyer thought about trying to freeze Jones, but at the last second nixed the idea.
“We were debating on calling a timeout, but decided let’s just roll,” Sawyer said.
After the block the No. 3-seeded Pam Pack (11-2) took possession of the ball and let the clock wind down on its thrilling victory as the Washington students stormed the field.
However, you can’t blame Sawyer for not being ecstatic after the win, as the Pack nearly let a 35-24 fourth-quarter lead over No. 6 Bunn (8-5) slip out of its hands.
Up 28-17 going into the fourth, Bunn blocked a Pack punt and returned it for a touchdown to cut the lead to 28-24 at the start of the quarter.
Washington responded on its next drive as Trey Spruill broke off a 34-yard touchdown on its next possession to pull ahead 35-24.
Bunn closed the gap to 35-32 when it blocked a punt and returned it for a touchdown, and after converting the two-point conversion trailed 35-32.
On the ensuing possession, Washington’s drive stalled and was forced to punt, setting up Bunn for what would prove to be its final drive of the season.
The Wildcats marched to the Washington 25-yard line, where on fourth down it turned to Freeman for the fateful 42-yard attempt.
Washington trailed 10-7 at the end of the first quarter as Sattherwaitte scored on a 1-yard run.
The Pack held a 21-10 lead at the half as Stevie Green caught a 75-yard bomb from Brodie West and Sattherwaitte scored on a 17-yard wildcat run.
West had a strong outing as he threw for over 150 yards and two TD passes, with his second being an 8-yarder to Daniel Maultsby late in the third that made the score 28-17.
With the win, Washington advances to the third round of the NCHSAA 2-AA playoffs where it will face No. 2 Currituck.

Bunn    10      0    7    15    —    32
Washington        7    14    7    7    —    35

Scoring Summary
B — Freeman Jones 47 field goal, 8:01, 1st
W — Rakwuan Sattherwaitte 1 run (Christian Crompton kick), 4:42, 1st.
B — Ashton Avery 67 run (Jones kick), 4:17, 1st.
W — Stevie Green 75 pass from Brodie West (Crompton kick), 7:36, 2nd.
W — Sattherwaitte 17 run (Crompton kick), 4:30, 2nd.
B — Tevin Ferrell 5 run (Jones kick), 11:50, 3rd.
W — Daniel Maultsby 8 pass from West (Crompton kick), 4:53, 3rd.
B — Bunn 19-yard punt block return (Jones kick), 11:54, 4th.
W — Trey Spruill 34 run (Crompton kick), 10:33, 4th.
B — Tommy Evans 46 pass from Quenten Wright (Tevin Ferrell two points) 5:31, 4th.