CYFL GAMES OF THE WEEK: Washington Saints finish season undefeated

Published 3:44 pm Saturday, October 25, 2014

SAVANNAH LUCAS | CONTRIBUTED DEFENSIVELY STRONG: The Raiders’ Rashad Little chases down the ball carrier in a 6-0 loss to the Eagles.

DEFENSIVELY STRONG: The Raiders’ Rashad Little chases down the ball carrier in a 6-0 loss to the Eagles.

Eagles edge Raiders, 6-0, in defensive standoff


For The Washington Daily News


The Washington Eagles defeated the Washington Raiders, 6-0, on Saturday morning in what was the final regular season game of the year for the 8U Division of the Community Youth Football League.

In the first quarter, Jerai Davenport, scored the first touch down for the Eagles on a run from midfield. That touchdown would be all the offense the Eagles would need for the entire game. Six minutes later, Rashad Little, was stopped just shy of the goal line, preventing the Raiders from scoring. The first quarter ended with a false start penalty against the Raiders with the Eagles leading, 6-0.

Following the second quarter kick off, the Eagles offense was stopped midfield and they turned to their defensive line to try and stop the Raiders’ offense. Another false start penalty against the Raiders ended the first half.

The Raiders started the third quarter trailing the Eagles, 6-0. The Eagles defense continued to dominate the Raiders offense through the third quarter. Despite the strong running of Henry Woolard, the Raiders were continuously stopped short throughout the rest of the quarter.

Both teams continued to play strong defense along the line of scrimmage throughout the fourth quarter. The Eagles defense was led by JaMillion Gordon and Davenport, while the Raiders were led by Little.

The game ended with the Raiders making one last drive deep into Eagles territory. With 42 seconds left in the fourth quarter, Rashad Little was stopped near the goal line by Jacquez Jordan, preventing the Raiders from evening the score. Time expired before the Raiders could call in another play.

Indians tackle Colts, 30-6

For The Daily News


The Community Youth Football League 10U Division’s regular season came to an end Saturday with a couple of hard fought matchups.

The first game featured the Washington Colts and the Chocowinity Indians.

The contest started off relatively slow with each squad trying to wear down the opposing defense. After steadily moving up the field behind the strength of their running game, Chocowinity was able to strike first with a six yard touchdown run by Brandon Clark just before the first quarter came to an end.

Not to be outdone, the Chocowinity defense came up big on their next series when they forced a Washington fumble that was recovered by Skyler Ward. Everything seemed to be going right for Chocowinity, as they scored only two plays later on a spectacular 38-yard touchdown run by Clark.

The Indians defense came up big once again the ensuing offensive possession, forcing a turnover on downs. This set up Chocowinity to try to score once more before halftime.

With the ball on their opponents 18-yard line and time set to expire, the Indians were down to their last play of the half. Jody Pierce took the handoff and appeared to be stopped, but he somehow managed to elude defenders as he weaved his way to the end zone for a touchdown.

Chocowinity’s momentum seemed to continue into the second half. They forced another turnover on downs to begin the third quarter, giving their offense a shot to score.

The Indians offense continued to play outstanding football, using their running game to steadily move the ball down the field. This drive ended with a 16-yard touchdown run for Clark, his third of the day, to push their lead to 30-0.

Despite being down and seemingly out, Washington showed some heart, as they refused to give up. With one last chance remaining to get on the scoreboard, the Colts started on their own 28-yard line and drove the ball down the field, scoring on the last play of the game, giving Chocowinity a 30-6 win over Washington.

Saints stay perfect, defeat Titan Green, 22-6


For The Washington Daily News


The day’s next matchup pitted the Greenville Titan Green against the Washington Saints. With the Saints trying to finish the season undefeated and the Titans trying to end their season on a high note, this was sure to be an entertaining game.

Greenville began the game with the football, looking to jump out to an early lead. The drive started off slowly and appeared as if it was going nowhere, until Montez Green began making big plays for the offense, including a 21-yard run and a 23-yard pass to Miguel Whitefield. This set up Preston Taylor for a one-yard touchdown to put the Titans up 6-0.

Looking to remain unbeaten, the Saints offense came out on to the field with hopes of scoring a touchdown of their own. Using a potent running game, Washington kept gaining large chunks of yards, as they marched towards the end zone. Eventually, setting up Hayes Pippin for a two-yard touchdown run with 5:24 left to go in the second quarter. After a successful two-point conversion, the Saints lead the Titans 8-6.

Greenville’s next drive was marred by mistakes, as penalty’s and fumbles prevented the offense from moving the ball before an errant pass was intercepted by Keifer Boyd shortly before the first half came to an end.

The second half of the game began with Washington on their own 35-yard line. After a nice little run by Terry Moore, the Saints coughed up the ball and Greenville recovered it.

With momentum on their side, the Titans were looking to score once again, however, it was not long before they had a turnover of their own when they lost a fumble to Washington.

The Saints offense got back on track during their next drive, as they kept running the ball down the defense’s throat for some positive yardage. A three-yard touchdown pass from Moore to Boyd capped off the drive and put Washington up 16-6 after a successful conversion.

The Saints offense was soon back on the field after Greenville turned the ball over on the first play of their next drive. Washington continued to rely on its rushing attack to move the ball, using its stable of three talented running backs. Moore finished off the drive with a nine-yard touchdown run widening the Saint lead to 22-6.