Old Ford Ruritans present scholarships

Published 5:38 pm Friday, July 7, 2017

The Old Ford Ruritan Club presented four scholarships in the amount of $500 each to deserving area high school seniors. Selection for this scholarship is based on connection to the Old Ford community, financial need and community service. Dr. Don Phipps, superintendent of Beaufort County Schools, was the guest speaker. The recipients of the 2017 scholarships were Josh Dillon, Avery Bowen, Ryan Alligood and Cody Godley.

Josh Dillon is a 2017 graduate of Washington High School. His memberships include Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA), Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA), Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA), JROTC, Key Club, National Honor Society (NHS) and the WHS Cross Country team. While enlisted in the North Carolina Army National Guard, Josh will be attending the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill this fall. With his degree, Josh plans to research green energy and hopes to eventually develop sustainable resources that he will promote through his own business. Josh has a strong desire to help others and make the world a safer place in which to live.

Avery Bowen is a 2017 graduate of Unity Christian Academy. Throughout the last four years, this student-athlete participated in the Beta Club, Student Government Association, UCA Summer 4 Him, as well as played high school soccer, basketball and baseball for the Unity Christian Academy Warriors. He was recently recognized with an honorable mention for the Washington Daily News “Male Athlete of the Year.” While leading the contemporary worship service at Old Ford Church of Christ, Avery also participated in various musical groups and bands. Avery will be attending Montreat College in Black Mountain, North Carolina, this fall where he will be playing soccer for the Montreat Cavaliers and pursuing a degree in music business.

Ryan Alligood is a 2017 graduate of Washington High School. While being an active contributor to the WHS Playmakers as an actor, member and officer, Ryan also participated in homecoming float construction, Read Across America, WPAK student news broadcast and Stunt Night as a script writer, actor and overall director. He has also performed as an actor in the school’s annual musicals: “Little Shop of Horrors,” “Mary Poppins,” “Grease” and “Peter Pan.” Ryan enjoys performing and visual arts including song writing, artistry and illustrating along with being a member of the local award winning band K-OS, as well as assisting in leading the contemporary worship service at Old Ford Church of Christ. After obtaining an associate degree at Pitt County Community College, Ryan plans to transfer to a four-year university with the ultimate goal of a career in the performing arts.

Cody Godley is a 2017 graduate of Washington High School. As a student at WHS, Cody participated in the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA), National Honor Society (NHS), Young Life and homecoming float construction for four years. As an avid athlete, he was a member of the WHS Pam Pack baseball and football teams for four years as well as a participant in the BoCo CrossFit, recreation baseball and fitness basketball. Cody has signed to play baseball for Guilford College in Greensboro, where he will be a pre-physical therapy student.

Submitted by Jeff Mault, Old Ford Ruritan Club vice president