Seniors a part of local arts movement
Looking for arts and cultural close to home? Each Wednesday look for a brief article, Art Beat, from the team at the Arts of the Pamlico to learn about arts and cultural programming offered in Beaufort County. AOP is the state-designated arts council for the region, based in its historic Turnage Theatre in downtown Washington. Art and cultural activities happen around the clock in Beaufort County. Each week, events are available during the day and evening to accommodate interests of all ages.
- Visual art competitions: Arts of the Pamlico is teaming up with the City of Washington’s Grace Martin Harwell Senior Center to add to its menu of programs. As part of the annual Silver Games, AOP will feature a month-long exhibit of works by senior citizens. The public opening reception is on May 2 at 5:30 p.m. All are welcome. Artist competitions are held all year long. Join AOP as an artist member for $30 a year and be eligible to participate in the Members, Photography and Fine Arts Shows coming up. Learn more at www.artsofthepamlico.org/artist-opportunities/.
- Broadway on the Big Screen: AOP offers a series of professional Broadway production on the big screen monthly on Sundays at 3 p.m. “Gypsy” will by playing in May. The recipient of eight Olivier Award nominations, this production stars Imelda Staunton in the iconic role of Mama Rose. Free with suggested donation of $5.
- French Conversation: Voulez-vous parler avec nous et entre dans notre groupe de conversation? Dust off your French skills at no charge and join us at the Turnage Theatre on Wednesdays from 1:30-3 p.m.
- Cultural tours: Tours for seniors are on the horizon with Jeff Phipps. The first one will be to Tryon Palace. Watch for details soon.
- Open art spaces: Spaces are available for use by seniors. Our gallery and art café’ have wonderful light to paint by. Our backstage Creation Station is open, regularly providing free creative spaces including workshop tables and chairs, easels and more. And our new print/silk screening and clay spaces are now open for use.
- Music jams: Many of AOP’s art affiliate groups welcome seniors to join in the fun each week to listen. The Beaufort County Traditional Music Association hosts weekly jams and the Pamlico Writers Group welcomes all ages to participate in its workshops, contests and conferences.
Want to learn more about arts for seniors? Visit artsofthepamlico.org or call 252-946-2504.
Written by Debra Torrence, AOP executive director, Crystal Holman, weekend coordinator and Thad Aley, events and exhibits coordinator.