Disaster unemployment deadline Oct. 25 in Hyde

Published 6:40 pm Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Hyde County residents whose employment was affected by Hurricane Florence need to fill out their Disaster Unemployment Applications by Oct. 25.  The Disaster Unemployment Assistance Program provides temporary weekly monetary assistance to individuals in specified areas whose employment has been lost or interrupted as a direct result of a presidentially declared major disaster.

Workers who became unemployed as a direct result of the effects of Hurricane Florence impacting North Carolina may be eligible for unemployment insurance benefits under the DUA program. Business owners affected by the storm may also qualify for benefits. Workers or business owners meeting the following criteria may be eligible for benefits:

  • Individuals who are unemployed due to the disaster, and do not qualify for regular unemployment insurance benefits.
  • Self-employed individuals and small business owners who lost income due to the disaster.
  • Individuals who were prevented from working due to an injury caused by the disaster.
  • Individuals who have become the major supplier of household income due to the disaster-related death of the previous major supplier of household income.
  • Individuals who are unable to reach their jobs or self-employment locations, because they must travel through the affected area and are prevented from doing so by the disaster.
  • Individuals who were to commence employment or self-employment, but were prevented from doing so by the disaster.

DUA is available for weeks of employment beginning with the week starting Sept. 9 and may last for up to 27 weeks, as long as the claimant’s unemployment continues to be as a result of Hurricane Florence.
If you are eligible for regular Unemployment Insurance benefits, you must first exhaust those benefits before you are eligible for DUA. To apply for assistance you should call DES toll free at 1-866-795-8877. Be prepared by having the following information:

  • Your social security number, your Alien Registration number if you are a non citizen.
  • Any check stubs or other proof of earnings for employment you have had within the last 18 months.
  • If self-employed, your most recent Federal Income Tax returns and/or your profit and loss statement.