Cooperative Extension offers youth gardening class
Published 4:04 pm Wednesday, March 31, 2021
Beaufort County Cooperative Extension’s 4-H Youth Development program is holding a nine week program focusing on gardening for children ages 5 through 18.
The program, Just Grow It!, will focus on these different gardening topics on a weekly basis:
- Super Seeds – Dig into activities around seeds. Youth will grow microgreens and create their own seed necklace. Learn what seeds need in order to germinate and grow.
- Starting the Garden – Youth will learn all about how to make paper pots, a mini-greenhouse, and grow some seedlings inside for an early start to the garden.
- Planting the Garden – Find the right spot for the garden and get growing by sowing seeds and transplanting veggie seedlings. Gather garden tools and just grow it.
- Garden Care – Figure out how to care for the garden and make plant labels and a rain gauge too.
- Splendid Soil – Learn more about the soil, its role in growing healthy plants, and investigate an earthworm.
- Beneficial Bugs – Find out the buzz on how insects impact our plants.
- Plant Problems – Observe plants in the garden for any issues and try to find out what is causing them.
- Food Safety – Learn how to handle plants with care to keep yourself and others safe while enjoying the vegetables.
- Salad Celebration – Celebrate all of your hard work by making a salad with fresh veggies from your garden.
There will be a bi-weekly optional check-in on Zoom to check garden progress and hear from others also participating in the program. The Beaufort County Cooperative Extension Office will provide the seeds, plants, potting soil, hand-outs for each lesson, & other materials depending on funding. The cost of this program is FREE. Supplies provided are dependent on the amount of youth registered for the program.
Material pick-up will be at the Extension Office located at 155 Airport Road in Washington, NC. There will be three different pickup days for the course, with materials being provided for the next three activities. Materials for weeks 1-3 can be picked up on April 12, 2021. Materials for weeks 4-6 can be picked up on May 3, 2021 . Materials for weeks 7-9 can be picked up on May 24, 2021.
The deadline to register for this program is April 6, 2021.
If you would like to register a single child or children in the same family, Click Here.
If you would like to register a group of children that are not related in an afterschool or classroom setting, Click Here.
For more information, contact the Beaufort County Cooperative Extension 4-H agent, Chasady Quinn.