Building evacuated for smoke on BCCC campus

Published 10:39 pm Monday, October 9, 2023

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...
WASHINGTON, N.C.— A malfunctioning heating strip in the ceiling above the stage in theContinuing Education Building (8) Auditorium melted nearby insulation, causing smoke inside the building around 7:30 p.m. on October 9. An evening class taking place in the building was safely evacuated, and there were no injuries. Firefighters from Bunyan Volunteer Fire Department and Washington Fire and Rescue extinguished the smoldering insulation. The building will remain closed until heating equipment can be inspected to ensure safety. The Continuing Education Building houses programs such as personal enrichment, GED, cooking, and small business workshops. Students who attend classes in the building should check with their instructors on the status of their class.