Grant to help city replace fire truck

Published 12:15 am Tuesday, February 7, 2012

This rescue-equipment vehicle is in line for replacement thanks to a grant awarded to the city Friday. (Contributed Photo/City of Washington)

Washington’s Fire-Rescue-EMS Department has been awarded a grant to help replace its rescue/equipment truck.

The grant was awarded Friday, according to an email sent to the Washington Daily News by Robbie Rose, the city’s fire chief.

The $350,300 Assistance to Firefighters Grant, awarded by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, includes $332,785 in federal money, with a city “match” (contribution) of $17,515, according to Robbie Rose, chief of the department.

The federal money accounts for 95 percent of the grant, with the city’ money accounting for the remaining 5 percent.

“It was in this year’s CIP,” Rose said of the replacement vehicle.

CIP stands for capital-improvements plan.

“I am going to replace it with a new version of those trucks that carry rescue equipment and portable air. It will be a truck that will carry a larger selection of equipment,” Rose said during an interview Monday.

“We are in the process now of putting together the specifications we want. Then the truck’s going to be bid out,” Rose said.

The rescue/equipment truck is a converted 1983 Hackney beverage truck.

“That truck was given to us by the Minges Group. … After we got it, we sent it to Hackney, where it was refurbished for our use. That truck’s probably been in here since ’94,” Rose said.

The grant comes with articles of agreement that describe the terms of the grant, including any conditions placed on the grant and the city’s responsibilities as grant recipient. If the city accepts the grant, that action constitutes acceptance of the articles of agreement and all requirements included in that agreement, according to FEMA’s website.

The primary goal of the Assistance to Firefighters Grant is to meet the firefighting and emergency-response needs of fire departments and nonaffiliated emergency medical-service organizations, according to the FEMA website. Since 2001, AFG has helped firefighters and other first responders to obtain critically needed equipment, protective gear, emergency vehicles, training and other resources needed to protect the public and emergency personnel from fire and related hazards.

About Mike Voss

Mike Voss is the contributing editor at the Washington Daily News. He has a daughter and four grandchildren. Except for nearly six years he worked at the Free Lance-Star in Fredericksburg, Va., in the early to mid-1990s, he has been at the Daily News since April 1986.
Journalism awards:
• Pulitzer Prize for Meritorious Public Service, 1990.
• Society of Professional Journalists: Sigma Delta Chi Award, Bronze Medallion.
• Associated Press Managing Editors’ Public Service Award.
• Investigative Reporters & Editors’ Award.
• North Carolina Press Association, First Place, Public Service Award, 1989.
• North Carolina Press Association, Second Place, Investigative Reporting, 1990.
All those were for the articles he and Betty Gray wrote about the city’s contaminated water system in 1989-1990.
• North Carolina Press Association, First Place, Investigative Reporting, 1991.
• North Carolina Press Association, Third Place, General News Reporting, 2005.
• North Carolina Press Association, Second Place, Lighter Columns, 2006.
Recently learned he will receive another award.
• North Carolina Press Association, First Place, Lighter Columns, 2010.
4. Lectured at or served on seminar panels at journalism schools at UNC-Chapel Hill, University of Maryland, Columbia University, Mary Washington University and Francis Marion University.

email author More by Mike