Vikes fall short against Aces

Published 11:32 pm Friday, August 31, 2012

By Danny Lyon
Contributing Writer
Plymouth—There was much anticipation for Friday night’s matchup of two of the area’s top teams as the Plymouth High Vikings took on the Edenton Aces at Foster Field.
The Vikings have put up big numbers so far offensively this year, and coach Robert Cody was ready to throw in a few wrinkles to keep the momentum tonight.
“I was going to give them a whole lot of formations,” said Cody, but in Plymouth’s final possession it wasn’t enough as they fell to Edenton 18-14.
The Vikes started the night with two quick three-and-outs and the Aces took advantage scoring on a Kashese Bond run from  21 yards out. Zac Valentine tacked on two points with his run and Edenton was up 8-0 midway through the first. Plymouth answered with a signature drive of fourteen plays that covered 71 yards and ate up over seven minutes. Demarkius Price capped off that drive with his two-yard carry as Plymouth edged closer at 8-6 with 10:32 left in the first half.
It would only take Edenton :19 seconds to deliver the next blow. On first down, Bond again took off around the left side and 67 yards later found himself in the end zone. Robert Bunch tacked on the extra point and the Aces led 15-6. After a few stalled drives from both squads, Bunch added three more to the tally and Edenton took a 18-6 lead into the half.
In the second half it was clear that adjustments had been made. The Edenton running game had seemed to stall and the excitement could be felt on the Plymouth sideline. “They went unbalanced and we brought the backside end over,” said Cody.
Edenton didn’t score again, but the Plymouth head coach put the blame on himself saying, “You would have liked to have made that adjustment a little quicker…and I probably should have done a better job picking that up.”
Meanwhile the offense was beginning to find some success. The Vikes constructed an eight-play 68-yard drive that ended in QB Shamonte Ferebee finding WR Davonte Spruill on a six-yard strike to cut the lead to 18-14. Plymouth would have one last gasp as they took over possession on their own 2-yard line with 5:10 to go in the game. The Vikings drove across midfield only to have their hopes daunted when Ferebee’s second down pass came out low and was picked off by Malik Sessoms with only 1:52 remaining.
Edenton then pounded out the clock, and pounded out the win. The Viking move forward to next weeks contest hosting Rocky Mount Prep.