Southside responds to loss by decimating Kinston

Published 11:01 pm Wednesday, September 7, 2016

CHOCOWINITY — Three different Seahawks scored multiple goals as Southside rolled over Kinston, 7-1, on Wednesday. The win was its fifth in seven tries.

Southside drew first blood and did so quickly. Freshman forward Jario Juarez sped down the right wing. He sent in a cross right onto the boot of senior superstar Fabian Ramirez.

Jose Perez Garcia doubled Southside’s lead five minutes later. He squared up for a mid-range free kick. He put it on frame and, in the midst of a bit of confusion in the box, beat the opposing goalkeeper. The Seahawks were nearly gifted a third goal shortly after when a clearing attempt by the Vikings rattled off the crossbar.

Luke Matthews made it 3-0 in the 21st minute. He broke off a well-timed run down the right side and dinked it into the far corner.

Coach Jay Petty enjoys getting some breathing room early because it allows his side to settle in. He likes for the Seahawks to slow the game down and maintain possession.

“We were really working on possessing, especially in the middle of the field, and wearing teams out,” he said. “It’s like a big game of keep away … and they get tired of chasing after a while.”

It was something that Southside struggled with against South Central the day before. The Seahawks dropped a 4-3 decision against the Falcons, which are a 4-A club. The game could have gone Southside’s way if not for a few key mistakes.

“It was a good challenge to see how we would fare and what we could do against a 4-A team,” Petty said. “With a few mistakes removed from (Tuesday), we may have walked away with a win.”

While Tuesday didn’t go as Petty would have liked, he was pleased with the way his team bounced back the following day.

Southside continued to pour on offensively in the second half. Ramirez scored his second goal of the game 10 minutes into the half with a dart into the opposite corner.

Fabian Ramirez squares up for a corner kick. Southside was able to earn a last-minute goal thanks to a corner.

Fatigue began to set in for the visiting Vikings. They were frustrated because of their four-goal deficit and worn down because of Southside’s possession. It yielded some mistakes, which the Seahawks capitalized on.

A tired Kinston defense allowed Matthews to walk in for his second goal of the contest. He dribbled across the box, from right to left, and tapped the ball into the far corner as the Viking keeper followed his path.

A Kinston player made a throw-in back to the keeper in the 63rd minute. The keeper, meaning to kick it downfield, accidently put it right on Garcia’s foot. With the keeper far out of position, Garcia lobbed the ball toward the open net for his second goal of the game.

“I think aggressiveness is one of those things that, if it’s not practiced enough, you start to sit back and wait,” Petty said. “Stay on them all game long. If you get the chance, put the keeper under pressure. Let’s see what we can get out of it. Nine times out of 10, if you do that, you can come away with the ball.”

Kevin Prade scored the final goal in the last minute of the game. He took advantage of disorganization following a corner kick to beat Kinston’s keeper for Southside’s seventh goal.