Boswell, Speciale take House districts

Published 11:22 pm Tuesday, November 8, 2016

The person who will represent the 1st District in the North Carolina Senate is a Beaufort County resident, but that was assured when incumbent Bill Cook, a Republican, and Brownie Futrell, a Democrat, both Beaufort County residents, went head to head in the general election.

With 76 0f 80 precincts reporting by 10:25 p.m. Tuesday, Cook appeared to be the victor with 62 percent of the votes to Futrell’s 38 percent of ballots cast.

Cook carried most of the counties in District 1, including Beaufort County, Hyde County, Dare County, Currituck County, Gates County, Camden County, Pasquotank County and Perquimans County.

Futrell did not carry any county in the district.

Attempts to contact Cook and Futrell for comments on their campaigns were unsuccessful.

Republican Beverly Boswell apparently prevailed in the contest to represent District 6 in the state House. She carried the most of the 15 Beaufort County precincts in the district, but not the three whole counties that complete the district. As of 10:30 p.m. Tuesday, the Tranter’s Creek and Pantego precincts had not reported vote totals.

With 42 of 44 precincts reporting at 10:25 p.m. Tuesday, Boswell held a slim lead (21,121 votes to 19,931 votes) over Warren Judge, the Democrat who challenged her. Judge died Saturday. The state Democratic Party Executive Committee for District 6 named Tess Judge, his wife, as the candidate to replace him. Judge carried Dare, Hyde and Washington counties.

The district includes part of Beaufort County and all of Dare, Hyde and Washington counties.

In the race for the District 3 seat in the state House, Republican Michael Speciale appears to have easily won his re-election bid against Democrat Marva Fisher Baldwin by about a 2-to-1 margin. With 33 of 33 precincts reporting by 9:40 p.m. Tuesday, Speciale had 65 percent of the votes, with Baldwin collecting the remaining 35 percent.

Speciale carried Pamlico and Craven counties. Baldwin carried Beaufort County, part of which is in District 3. The district includes parts of Beaufort and Craven counties and all of Pamlico County.

Vote totals are unofficial until canvassed and certified by the Beaufort County Board of Elections on Nov. 18.

About Mike Voss

Mike Voss is the contributing editor at the Washington Daily News. He has a daughter and four grandchildren. Except for nearly six years he worked at the Free Lance-Star in Fredericksburg, Va., in the early to mid-1990s, he has been at the Daily News since April 1986.
Journalism awards:
• Pulitzer Prize for Meritorious Public Service, 1990.
• Society of Professional Journalists: Sigma Delta Chi Award, Bronze Medallion.
• Associated Press Managing Editors’ Public Service Award.
• Investigative Reporters & Editors’ Award.
• North Carolina Press Association, First Place, Public Service Award, 1989.
• North Carolina Press Association, Second Place, Investigative Reporting, 1990.
All those were for the articles he and Betty Gray wrote about the city’s contaminated water system in 1989-1990.
• North Carolina Press Association, First Place, Investigative Reporting, 1991.
• North Carolina Press Association, Third Place, General News Reporting, 2005.
• North Carolina Press Association, Second Place, Lighter Columns, 2006.
Recently learned he will receive another award.
• North Carolina Press Association, First Place, Lighter Columns, 2010.
4. Lectured at or served on seminar panels at journalism schools at UNC-Chapel Hill, University of Maryland, Columbia University, Mary Washington University and Francis Marion University.

email author More by Mike