• 32°

Hyde County accepting housing assistance applications

From Hyde County Government

The Hyde County Office of Planning and Economic Development under the Hyde County Manager’s Office regularly accepts a common application for property owners for assistance in regards to housing needs. This common application supplies county staff with the information needed to match the needs of property owners with resources that may come available through state and federal grant opportunities when they come available. Assistance typically comes in the form of elevations, reconstructions and acquisitions.

In the wake of Hurricane Dorian, Hyde County is accepting common housing applications from individuals with housing damage and needs. County staff will utilize these applications to identify and work with property owners to assist them with searching for available resources to meet their individual needs. All property owners should submit an application including residents, off-island property owners and business owners.

This application does not promise funding but rather gives the county a tool to apply for funding and match individual property owner needs with grant funds for which they may be eligible. When and if FEMA assistance becomes available for individuals, this application does not take the place of filing with FEMA. When and if FEMA Individual Assistance comes available apply directly through FEMA in addition to filing this form with Hyde County.

Individual grants may come in the form of Community Development Block Grants (CDBG), Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds, Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA) grants, and other state and federal resources that may come available as a result of the storm. Criteria for these grants vary by the individual grant and may or may not be based on income, the number of times the structure has flooded, the extent of damage, and other factors.

Applications are available online on the Hyde County website under hurricane and flood info and can also be picked up and returned to Teresa Adams at the Ocracoke Volunteer Fire Department or Rosemary Johnson at the Government Center in Swan Quarter. Questions in regard to your applications can be sent to 252-926-4178 or rjohnson@hydecountync.gov.