Washington woman dies in house fire

Published 3:53 pm Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

Vickie Jones, a 79-year-old woman of Washington was the sole victim in a fatal fire at her home on Sunday morning (Aug. 21). 

According to City of Washington’s Interim Fire Chief R. M. Flowers, firefighters received a call at around 9:20 a.m. to Jones’ home at 203 Slatestone Dive near Washington High School. The fire department determined the cause of the fire to be an air conditioning unit that was plugged into an extension cord. Jones died from smoke inhalation, Flowers confirmed. 

Jones’ sister-in-law, Audrey Liebross, said the family is still collecting information about the fire. At this time, they believe a neighbor saw the flames, broke down the front door to get her out of the house; but was apparently too late.